Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 343 - John 20:11~18

Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene
 11 Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.  13 They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?”
   “They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.” 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.
 15 He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”
   Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”
 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.”
   She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).
 17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
 18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those bible passages that I didn't hear much during mass or perhaps I didn't much attention to. So I stand corrected on my comment yesterday, before Mary Magdalene went to the disciples of Jesus to report what she saw in the tomb, she did see the angels and Jesus. The strange thing is that at first Mary did not recognize Jesus. Was he wearing a shroud? He couldn't be wrapped anymore because the previous passage clearly states that the piece of cloth used to wrap him was removed. Could it be that he had a new appearance? It was only when he called Mary name that Mary finally realized who was she talking to. It must be the way he address her that made her realized that she was talking to the Teacher. Another strange thing I noticed is that Jesus didn't want Mary to touch him because he had not yet ascended to the Father. Why? It's quite interesting. But the good news here is that, Jesus died for us but had risen to lead us his church.

    ReplyDelete